Vitamin J, Tampa, FL 2010-Present
Head of Innovation
James leads a B2B product consultancy that helps growth-oriented firms compete and win in our anywhere, anytime economy. A digital strategist with a passion for developing creative, big-thinking go-to-market strategies, James works directly with senior executives to develop and execute digital and e-commerce strategies.
Vitamin J, under James’ leadership, has helped numerous large-scale public and private companies launch new digital ventures, develop strategic plans, and deliver change-management through their businesses to shift people to have a more digitally-centric mindset.
Working closely with sales and product teams, James has been the primary driver working alongside C-level and boards to spur innovation that leverages technology and a more lean way of managing projects and ventures to drive shareholder value.
– Work directly with C-Suite to identify short and long-term digital opportunities and architect strategic roadmaps for implementation across multi-disciplinary teams.
– Leverage best practices in customer experience and engagement (CX) to design effective tools that empower sales teams to drive deeper customer relationships and leverage technology to expand reach and influence.
– Lead change management through teaching, speaking, and project leadership activities to activate and inspire individuals throughout the organization to build buy-in and output.
– Create and manage P&Ls, assess risk management, and capital investments to achieve strong ROIs through closely monitored KPIs for new business ventures.
Startup Queenstown Lakes Trust, Queenstown/Wanaka, New Zealand 2018-2020
Chief Executive Officer
James led a coalition of entrepreneurs, investors, changemakers, and community leaders to build an effective startup ecosystem in a global resort community. He worked with local and national government agencies, private investment groups, and local entrepreneurs to tackle the need for economic diversity and resilience, via a strong entrepreneurial community.
As chief executive, James was the face of the organization, leading local and national projects to benefit founders and entrepreneurs. James oversaw a team of startup business advisors, developed a curriculum to teach lean startup principles, business model design, market validation, and financial/investment modeling.
During James’ tenure as a co-founder and the organization’s first CEO, James worked closely with government economic development, startup/innovation ecosystem leaders, and private investors to build a framework for success in the region. While CEO, James founded Tourism Tech Expo, a global showcase of tourism technology businesses, and WWIN, a local angel investor community. He brought back Startup Weekend to the district as well – an organization he has had ties with since 2010.
Wherewolf – The App for Adventure Tourism, Queenstown, New Zealand 2017-2018
Chief Marketing Officer
James led the brand and marketing teams at Wherewolf, one of New Zealand’s top tech startups and a leader in the Adventure Tech category. While James was at Wherewolf, the company was named NZ Deloitte Rising Star – Company To Watch, as well as numerous other accolades.
James was responsible for shifting the branding to prepare the company for a U.S. expansion, implementing CRM and inbound marketing tools, and developing a content strategy for the fast-growing company.
He oversaw contractors and vendors responsible for implementing the strategic plans he developed and worked closely with the CTO and CEOs to develop systems and processes that would link digital initiatives to company KPIs to achieve further funding.
PatentStatus IP Software, Indianapolis, IN 2011-2018
Founder & CEO
James founded this intellectual property software company following the passing of the America Invents Act. The SAAS enables corporations to map and track their patent portfolio’s utilization and implement a virtual patent marking strategy. The software enables corporate counsel to track, publish and manage a virtual patent marking registry on their companies website.
James was responsible for the entire concept and design of the software suite, working closely with Fortune 1000 customers to maximize the software’s functionality to meet the business requirements of the organization’s IP and R&D teams.
James led capital raising for the firm, oversaw all major contracts, and worked directly with the sales teams to build the legal tech startup.
MediaSauce, Indianapolis, IN 2008 – 2010
Vice President of Strategy
Leading one of the Midwest’s most respected digital marketing and consulting firms (Inc. 5000), James oversaw the development of a strategic planning process that has enabled clients to leverage digital and social media. Working with retail, b2b, real estate, and financial services industries, James helped both small firms and Fortune 500 companies develop strategic plans that moved them into the digital age and helped them develop new revenue models and rebrand products and services to increase revenues.
LIN Media Corp., Providence, RI 2007 – 2008
Regional Digital Director
Responsible for the day to day Internet operations of 11 television markets, James was a key executive team member to LIN Media’s interactive division. Responsible for the sales, training, and editorial operations of Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC television affiliates around the country, James implemented processes and methods that enabled these local media leaders to leverage their news programming and local reach to increase revenue, launch new digital products and create a web-centric culture.
LIN, a publicly-traded company, completed a merger in 2014 with Media General and then merged again with Nextstar in 2017 (NXST (NASDAQ)).
Gannett Co., Indianapolis, IN 2002 – 2007
Innovation and Product Development Director, The Indianapolis Star
At a time the newspaper industry began to realize it must leverage its resources to build new digital platforms, James was appointed to help build the first ideation and innovation team at The Indianapolis Star, one of Gannett’s flagship properties. Collaborating with executive team members and working across departments, James brought his experience in editorial content, sales, marketing, and the Internet to help launch a variety of multimillion-dollar ventures. An innovation leader, James helped create a culture for idea development and built the foundation for an innovation process that leveraged employee ideas with market-driven new product development.
Market Share Development Manager, The Indianapolis Star
A need to spur additional spending by some of the largest clients at the Indianapolis Star spurred the creation of the Market Development Strategic Sales Team. James was appointed to lead this new team that leveraged market data with highly creative and innovative advertising and marketing strategies to spur increased revenues and a more effective sales approach. In addition to overseeing the sales pitch to the most important clients at the Star, James managed the day to day operations of the database marketing team and helped build processes that leveraged the vast data resources of the Star into new revenue streams.
Assistant Editor, Marketing and Digital, INtake Magazine
A new business venture, INtake Weekly was launched by a team of innovative, enthusiastic young professionals within The Indianapolis Star. As part of that start-up within the company, James was picked to lead day-to-day operations of the weekly magazine as well as oversee marketing and digital operations. James led the creation of multiple brands and online marketing opportunities and worked with the sales force to create multiple sales performances that exceeded company expectations.
Content Producer, IndyStar.com
Responsible for the implementation and creation of content for IndyStar.com and other media properties within the Star’s digital portfolio, James was part of a small team that oversaw the day-to-day operations and improvements of the most visited web site in Indiana. From content publishing to digital story-telling, James’s efforts along with his colleagues helped solidify IndyStar.com as the premier digital news property in Indiana.
The Forensic Panel, New York, NY 2000 – 2002
Director of Business Development and Technology
- Developed corporate communication strategy; serve as the contact for national media, pitch and develop story ideas to media including ABC News, CNN, MSNBC, with regular successful on-air results.
- Managed national presentation lecture and discussion programs in science, law, and public policy for academic and professional meetings such as the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, including extensive travel; coordinated speakers, arrange for travel, and schedule events for all on-site team members.
- Conception, development, and project management of all branding initiatives and web site development. Negotiated contractors, spearheaded design, and ongoing improvement-analysis.
- Oversaw the nation’s first professional journal to convert from print publication to online-only publication, The Forensic Echo.
- Led web development of first-of-its-kind web application for research for an international forensic study on depravity, The Depravity Scale.
Osler Institute, Terre Haute, IN 1998 – 2000
Audio Visual & Digital Business Director
- Serve as point-person for all technical questions regarding the set-up, logistics, and cost-of-services for 120 education and presentation meetings in 20 cities across the country.
- On-site event coordinator with hotels and meeting facilities management for 125+ events per year in top markets in the country; including the resolution of contract disputes, and solving of problems regarding the facility, its staff, or outsourced vendors providing services to the event.
- Updated and standardized all departmental practices and procedures; implemented quality assurance program with other departments to ensure accuracy, and raised quality success rate from 55% to 95% in first 6 months on the staff and achieved an unprecedented quality rate of 97% by end of the first year.